P2 Office Tips
from 20 Quick and Easy Ways to Start, CO-OP
America Quarterly, Spring 1998, Number 44
- Use natural light whenever possible.
- Turn off lights and office machines when not needed.
- Unscrew unneeded light bulbs.
- Replace light bulbs with lower wattage or compact fluorescent ones.
- You don't work in an office? Adopt one and make it green.
- Search for air and water leaks.
- Install occupancy sensors that turn off the lights when no one is in the room.
- Use timers on lighting systems and office equipment.
- Stock your office kitchen with glasses, plates, and flatware instead of disposables.
- Set your thermostat to reduce heating and air conditioning during unoccupied hours.
- Reduce your heating and air conditioning a little before the end of your operating hours.
- Have your heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems serviced.
- Re-use computer disks.
- Buy re-manufactured or refillable toner cartridges for copiers.
- Put water-saving devices in rest rooms and on kitchen faucets.
- Re-use envelopes, bags and mailers.
- Buy nontoxic cleaning supplies in bulk or condensed forms, in recycled or recyclable containers.
- Set up an area in your business for employees to exchange or give away used items.
- Buy chlorine-free high-recycled content printing and writing paper and tissue products.
- Have boxes of unused stationery made into note pads.
For more information visit